WHAT IS UPOPOLIS?
Upopolis on Twitter
Upopolis user and Upal Jacob has power in his actions and words! Check out Jacob's reflection on his experience as… https://t.co/4ZwCLCfaLF
Latest Upopolis News
Upopolis is a safe and secure online support network that connects Canada's kids and teens with hospital experience or chronic medical conditions with one another, with friends and with family members. Upopolis users also have access to Uknow, kid-friendly medical content designed to help them better understand their diagnoses, treatments and procedures, as well as provide important resources on everything from hospital tours to coping techniques.
One of the most popular features of Upopolis is the opportunity to express individuality, be creative and participate as active content contributors to the site through the creation of “spaces”. These spaces may feature personal blogs, public forums to discuss diagnoses and medical experiences, hospital specific information, as well as activities for fun and entertainment.
Upopolis launched at McMaster Children’s Hospital in 2007 and today includes a total of 14 hospitals and treatment centres, providing hundreds of hospitalized youth with access to this therapeutic network.
Children’s Hospitals, Community Hospitals, Youth Treatment Centres and Nonprofit Partners using Upopolis as a therapeutic tool (for their patients/clients 10-18 years of age) include*:
- BC Children’s Hospital
- Bethell Hospice
- Brigadoon Village
- Camp Erin
- Cape Breton Regional Hospital
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- CHU Sainte-Justine
- Dr. Jay Children’s Grief Centre
- Five Counties Children’s Center
- Grey Bruce Health Services
- Heart House Hospice
- Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
- IWK Health Centre
- Janeway Children's Health & Rehabilitation Centre
- London Health Science Centre
- McMaster Children’s Hospital
- Montreal Children's Hospital
- North York General Hospital
- Paradise Youth Treatment Center
- Ronald McDonald House Canada Northern Alberta
- SickKids Hospital
- Shriner's Hospital for Children, Montreal
- Stollery Children’s Hospital
- Trillium Health Partners
- Victoria General Hospital / Island Health
- Windsor Falls Youth Treatment Centre
Therapeutic Goals of Upopolis
Upopolis is a therapeutic online network comprised of paediatric patients (youth) aged 10 - 18 years, youth mentors, child life specialists and health care professionals. The goals of Upopolis are:
- to provide a safe and therapeutic online outlet for youth with a chronic illness or hospital experience to connect with one another
- to promote creativity for youth by allowing them to create their own spaces on Upopolis to share experiences and interests with other users
- to access trusted medical, health and wellness information provided by individual hospitals/clinics/centres that is vetted by health care professionals
- to express themselves through blogging, photos, live chats and online activities always with the support and supervision of mentors and health care staff who understand their unique struggles and experiences
- to enhance the experience of a social support platform to one that is therapeutic and unique in meeting the needs of youth with chronic illness and hospital experiences.
Interested in joining Upopolis?
Uknow is medical content that is provided to Upopolis users on a variety of topics ranging from explanations of diagnoses, unique hospital video tours, coping and distraction techniques and resources. Individual hospitals/centres are able to post their own content so information is applicable to what users may experience. Here’s an example of a recently completed Uknow video: Exploring the Operating Room.